Thursday, February 13, 2020

Good-Bye, Facebook

The deed is done.  I have submitted my Facebook account for deletion.  It will be 100% completely gone in 30 days as long as I don't login again before then (which I have no intention of doing, though I won't rule out the possibility of me doing so accidentally).

My use of Facebook had honestly dwindled for several months until it finally got to the point that I only checked it maybe twice a week or so.  There were many reasons for my declined usage.  For one thing, there was a TON of crap being posted on there.  It was basically impossible to filter things so that I only saw stuff that actually interested me and stuff that had been posted most recently.  Which brings me to my biggest complaint about Facebook: its complete lack of user-friendliness.

Facebook does NOT care about its users' lives.  It ONLY cares about making money off its users.  Everything Facebook shows you that isn't posted by someone or some page you follow is an attempt to make money usually via ads.  Anything it does show you that is posted by someone or some page you follow is facilitated by popularity algorithms, and you either have to go to every page you follow individually to get the full picture or jump through many hoops to get your news feed to show more of what you want (note MORE, not all).  Thus, if someone you know posted a status 3 days ago that got a hundred "likes" and comments, it will take precedence over that same person's post from 2 hours ago that only has five "likes" or comments.  This is what hurt my statuses the most on Facebook: only the same 5-7 people would like my posts so nobody else would see my posts in their news feeds because they didn't get the same amount of "likes" and comments as other people's.  It was very frustrating because it seemed like only 10% of my friends ever took interest in stuff I posted (and yes, I only had about 60 friends on Facebook because I HAVE NO SOCIAL LIFE).

Regardless of my complaints, I'm putting Facebook behind me and will endeavor to post stuff to my blogs, both my personal blog (the one you are currently reading) and my blog about my personal interests (link is in the right column in case you're curious).  Granted, this will difficult because I'm not in the habit of using them and because my life is pretty uneventful and not many things happen to me that are worth posting.  Like all things, this will take effort.  Which is unfortunate because I frequently struggle with activities that require more effort than I'm used to exerting.  And I'm mostly only used to exerting the effort it takes to sit on my butt and watch videos online or use a video game controller.  Oy vey...

I'll try to commit to posting some more this weekend.  Until then.

- William Winkeler

No comments:

Post a Comment